Johanna is a highly experienced Chartered Manager who uses a blend of coaching and mentoring to help others reach peak performance and shape the shadow they cast as leaders to maximise their team’s performance.
Johanna served for 23 years in the Royal Navy completing the usual blend of operational and non-operational roles including Afghanistan, the Middle East and Antarctica.
On leaving the Royal Navy, Johanna became a Management Consultant predominantly working with Defence and Security sector clients across a range of both today’s and tomorrow’s people challenges. She led assignment teams of mixed grade consultants as well as had line management and sales responsibilities. While working on assignments, she also coached her clients so that the work she and her team were invited in to do was able to be systemically successful.
Johanna has been running her own business for almost 5 years now and works with a real diversity of clients from single business owners to franchise owners to senior execs in large corporates.
Johanna describes herself as a peak performance coach and her practice is based on Timothy Galwey’s ‘Inner Game’ philosophy. Her focus is on the psychology of performance, or mindset, rather than skillsets. During coaching sessions, the conversations tend to focus on the attitudinal components of our performance such as motivation, stress and confidence.
A particular focus of her coaching is stress and its impact on effective leadership. Johanna helps clients understand what sort of leadership climate they create and stress has a major part to play here because, ‘under stress, we regress’.
Johanna moves seamlessly and intuitively between coaching and mentoring during her sessions to balance between depth of thought on a topic and finding creative solutions to issues. She is described as ‘no nonsense’, straightforward, structured and a ‘non-fluffy’ coach. Her approach ensures her clients stay on target, on time and on track.
Qualifications and professional memberships
- EMCC Senior Practitioner, 2021
- Conflict Skills Coach, 2021
- CMC Accreditation as a Civil Mediator, 2021
- Mental Health First Aid, 2020.
- AoEC International Systemic Team Coaching Certificate, 2020.
- Licensed User for AQR Leadership Style and Effectiveness assessment (ILM72), 2020.
- Action Learning Sets Facilitator, 2020.
- CMI Chartered Manager, 2019.
- Basics of Counselling Certificate, Eastleigh College, 2019.
- INLPTA Diploma in Neuro Linguistic Programming, 2019.
- ILM Level 7 Certificate Master Practitioner Coaching and Mentoring, 2019.
- Licensed User for the AQR Mental Toughness assessment (MTQPlus), 2017.
- CMI Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership, 2012.