The manager as coach mindset
James Hunt and Joseph Weintraub (authors of ‘The Coaching Manager: Developing top talent in business’) identified eight key attributes of successful coach managers:
- An attitude of helpfulness
- Less need for control
- Empathy in dealing with others
- Openness to personal learning and receiving feedback
- High standards for people
- A desire to help others to develop
- A ‘theory’ of employee development not predicated on ‘sink or swim’ approach
- A belief that most people want to learn
To what extent do you identify with these attributes? Are there some things here that you could work on if you’re trying to coach others?
If you’re interested in the above, have a look at our Coaching skills training. Or give us a call on 01582 463461 – we’re here to help!